Happy end of the first full week of 2015! I have to say, I’ve sort of been crushin’ it in this new year. I’ve been making mostly really solid decisions, getting more and more sleep, getting tons of fresh turmeric root (a resolution, if you recall), making lovely connections with people, and being generally more mindful. That’s not to say some of the major challenges I’ve been enduring for the past year have been magically solved, but rather that I’m finding joy and presence in spite of them.

I set a really good tone for 2015 by attending a 10:30-midnight yoga class on New Year’s Eve. I honestly think that’s inspired a lot of the good over this past week. I’m excited to keep it going. : )

me, crushin' the new year.

me, crushin’ the new year.

And now, the Friday Five!

***

Be a Person Who Gets Shit Done: A Gentle Guide

I love this Autostraddle piece because the author, Rachel, puts so much emphasis on list-making. I kid you not, the days I make a list for myself are more productive than the days I don’t, 100% of the time. Rachel gives some great specifics for effective lists and also provides more great tips for getting shit done. I’m going to bookmark it for days I’m feeling a little stuck.

Cauliflower Oatmeal

grain-free-cauliflower-porridge-to-her-core-1

I have some cauliflower in my fridge (after making Lacy’s incredibly delicious hummus), and now I’m obsessed with the idea of turning it into an oatmeal-like dish. I found this recipe on To Her Core, and plan to make it for breakfast today! Sounds great to me!

Declutter Your Kitchen

PURGE-2-620x620

I plan to do a big post on decluttering, but in the mean time, this article from Bon Appetit provides an excellent guide to declutter your kitchen. I just did this in my kitchen a few days ago and I felt instantly awesomer. (TW: they also use the language of “purging,” which rubs me the wrong way, but if you can get past that, it’s a really good read!)

Supporting Yourself and Others After a Trans Death or Violent Crime

Surely by now you’ve heard of the tragic death of transgender teenager Leelah Alcorn. Unfortunately, this is not a unique isolated incident, and as trans and allied communities know, traumatic incidents of violence occur regularly. This article offers ideas on taking care of yourself and other people during hard times like this. The goal, of course, is to put an end to the cis-hetero-patriarchal white supremacist culture that makes violences like these so commonplace—-to “fix society,” as Leelah implored—-but in the meantime, we could all use more tools to get us through these kinds of experiences.

Stuff from the Week That Made Me Happy

turmeric root; taking yoga; teaching sculpt; working on my syllabus for the Communication and Social Change class I’m teaching and getting so excited to talk to young people about social movements (and just feeling generally inspired because I’m immersed in all this literature about incredible organizing for change); Grrrl Prty; finally making friends with that regular at the coffee shop who I see everyday; pretty snow; out-nights; in-nights; getting awesomely positive feedback on my student evals back from last semester; tea; kitten; Pema Chodron; reading this book for book club; doing stuff for other people.

***

What made you happy this week? Have a great weekend! xoxo

1. lysette says:

Midnight yoga, what an amazing way to bring in the new year! I usually separate myself from the crowd at midnight – mostly cause people stumbling towards me with their arms open and lips pursed is mildly horrifying!
    First week of the year has been filled with good things but my favorite was giving my Dad a simple birthday gift he really appreciated and going on a big walk with him. That pretty much topped my week :)

I’m really curious about this turmeric root, how do you take it, what are the benefits?
    New Year’s Yoga sounds amazing…. I’m sooo looking forward to getting back into a workout schedule, have been in such a lazy post-baby slump.
    I think the “best” thing about this week was just knowing that it was probably the coldest week of the winter and we made it through without going crazy, despite some lingering sickness and husband working late every night… one step closer to spring =).

Oh, my dad got me a copy of Women in Clothes for my birthday, but I haven’t really gone through it! Glad you are enjoying it!
    Night yoga is always fantastic, what an especially great way to ring in the new year. I was asleep at 11:45, and woke up at 12:15, so that was my celebration. But yeah, more yoga is definitely on my to-do list this year.
    I’ve gotta say, I love cauliflower in most ways, even as raw rice, but serving it as oatmeal is maybe not entirely something I feel into. Let us know what you think if you try it, though, please!

I ended up not trying it, but if I do, I’ll let you know. :)

Women In Clothes is great because you can read small pieces at a time. I’d love to discuss it with you!

4. tohercore says:

Thanks for the mention :) Let me know what you think of the cauliflower oats – people seem to love it or hate it! Its a great grain-free option, but I personally prefer it mixed half and half with real oats :)

5. flickingthevs says:

That decluttering your kitchen post reminded me what I really have to do this year. I have so many ageing bags and boxes and half used stuff, I should go through it all and be brutal, and face 2015 with a more streamlined kitchen! Also that cauliflower oatmeal looks intriguing. Can’t wait to see how that goes.

6. Molly says:

Where is this midnight yoga you speak of? I go to a studio in JP, just because it’s where I live and convenient (i.e. less of a chance that I’ll talk myself out of going). Also, I love Pema–my therapist introduced me to her work and I can’t get enough!

Hello fellow Bostonian! I attend and teach at Corepower Yoga. So far we have studios in Medford, Cambridge, Newton, and on Comm Ave. near BU. Nothing in JP yet. But I love my studio.

Isn’t Pema just incredible? I feel so…grounded after reading her.