Long-weekend Eats

20140524-234107.jpg

Hello! If you are in the States and happen to have a job that gives you extra time-off today, I hope that you are enjoying the long weekend! It’s been tough for me to be in Boston during holidays because, compared to my last few homes (Cleveland, Chicago, and Minneapolis), I have so little sense of community here. In my previous homes, I would have surely been juggling several cookout invitations and/or hosting one myself. But being in a new city for less than a year has changed social dynamics in a way that’s been hard for me.

Fortunately, I have a handful of friends here who are wonderful people. I don’t necessarily have that go-to group of friends I’m used to, but I’ve been enjoying spending quality time with some really wonderful human beings. And this weekend we made sure that our hangouts included delicious homemade food!

Here’s a dinner I made on Saturday. Roasted asparagus and potato salad with Angela’s Green Goddess Dressing. I cannot say enough good things about this dressing!

20140524-234116.jpg

20140524-234123.jpg

The next day I had dinner with another friend and we ended our meal with these strawberry rhubarb bars. My oven has a tendency to burn things–(yes, the oven, not me!)–so it was a little crisp on top, but they were still so delicious! I used this recipe from Smitten Kitchen and made it vegan by subbing coconut oil for margarine. I also used coconut sugar instead of regular. So yummy! 20140525-224901.jpg

All in all it was a good weekend filled with great people and delicious food.

Today I’ll be spending most of my time getting more packing done. I’ll be back in the Midwest for the summer and I can’t wait!

How did you spend the long weekend? Eat any delicious food?

6 thoughts on “Long-weekend Eats

Oh, I’ve never used coconut sugar before! You can just sub it 1:1 for regular sugar? I haven’t done much baking of any kind in a while but sometimes summer fruit just calls out for a crisp.
    Sounds like some nice festivities with nice people – I’ve lived here my entire life and still don’t really have all that many close friends… or at least not ones that invite me out to holiday cookouts!
    That salad dressing looks incredible

Yes, I sub coconut sugar 1:1! I love it. I actually don’t buy any other kind of sugar at this point.

Definitely make the salad dressing, you won’t be disappointed!

And as far as the friend thing goes, I think I had a couple factors going for me in my previous homes. First, I was a student. I feel like college provides a nice foundation for that and grad school, people tend to be almost even closer because grad school is so fucking terrible, we all just stick together to make it through. Second, I think the cities I lived in were more conducive to people getting together (and having back yards!). Smaller cities and/or better public transit (that’s a comment about Boston, not NYC) really make a difference!

2. ShannonStevens (@ShannonStevens) says:

Raechel!! Great post. I woke up this morning thinking, if Raechel were here I would have a picnic to go today where I could enjoy and share amazing vegan food. Really missing you today!

Also, that dressing looks amazing! Now that I have to keep acid out of my diet as much as possible, I’m always looking for dressings that minimize it (meaning very little vinegar–citrus fruit is easier to handle). This looks perfect. Will be making it today to have with my grilled asparagus!

Shannon, I have been thinking of you *so* much this weekend! I loved going to cookouts and potlucks at your place (and/or sharing those things with you at some other location). Missing you a lot!

I’m glad you’re going to make the dressing! You won’t be disappointed!

Bookmarked that dressing, I’ve tried similar before, but love the amount of herbs in this… can’t wait for the garden to start producing!
    We did have some amazing food – my husband grew his first ever lion’s mane mushrooms and cooked them to try at our picnic, along with a bunch of morels he found.
    I can sympathize with your predicament of not having your “group” around to hang with – even if you meet other great people, it’s hard to replace that comfort. We have a possible move ahead of us so have been thinking about this topic a lot!

Oh goodness,I’m jealous of your garden! I don’t think I’ve ever had lion’s mane mushrooms, but I love all mushrooms.

Thanks for the sympathy. If you do make the move and need a friend to commiserate with, I’ll be there. <3