Rebel Grrrl Buys

Perhaps the rebel-est of rebel grrrls would never participate in consumerist practices, and would just Do It Herself.  But sometimes a gal is too busy teaching, researching, writing, (seeing Against Me!), and going to yoga to DIY or Die. Sometimes that means I eat food out of a package and use beauty products that weren’t made from ingredients in my garden–(that is, if I had a garden).

Here are some non-DIY things I’ve been loving lately! (And one that I am totally not loving). Oh, and I’m obvi not making money off these things, so you can trust!

Josie Maran Aragan Matchmaker Serum Foundation

So, I’m definitely not going to apologize for wearing makeup. Unless you see me at the yoga studio or out for a run, I didn’t wake up like dis. I’m a queer femme who loves “putting on my face” to spite the patriarchy, not to appease it. ;) Finding a natural-ish, cruelty-free foundation that doesn’t fuck up your face can be a challenge. I was delighted to read about Josie Maran in Natural Health a while back, and when I decided to treat myself to a trip to Sephora, I went straight to her section of the store. This argan foundation is so awesome. It actually comes out in a white-ish color then matches the tone of your complexion! So you can use it year-round, regardless of your level of sun-kissed-ness. In addition, all of Maran’s products are free of: paragons, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, phthalates, GMOs, and triclosan.

s1308121-main-hero

Nativas Natural Organic Raw Cacao Nibs, Sweetened

I’d had Nativas unsweetened cacao nibs before, but last month I tried the sweetened kind. I know it’s “better” to skip the sweetener all together, but these are still a step up from traditional vegan chocolate chips. These are super tasty and I find they are easy to keep in moderation—(I never felt tempted to eat the whole bag, which I think products sweetened with regular sugar have a tendency to encourage). I find these are great sprinkled over chocolate avocado mousse!

NAV-00045-0

WEN Bamboo Green Tea Cleansing Conditioner

WEN products are pricey, but I find they are so worth it. Between my daily workouts and teaching hot yoga, I sweat a lot everyday. I know some people can get on the dry shampoo bandwagon, but I am not one of them. So I need a product that won’t strip my hair of natural oils. This dual cleansing conditioner has been a god-send. I also have a hair shedding problem, and I find that this conditioner decreases the amount of hair I lose in the shower. I just discovered the bamboo green tea scent, and it’s my favorite one yet!

226

South River’s Organic Chickpea Miso

This soup is one of my favorite go-to dinners, and it just wouldn’t be the same without this chickpea miso. This is a great product for anyone who loves miso but wants to avoid having too much soy in their diet.

is.aspx

Blender Bottle

This thing has been great for the days I don’t have time to mix up a smoothie in my Vitamix. I’ve been all about Raw FIT Protein powder and almond milk for quick breakfasts.

71mgKWea7RL._SL1500_

AND HERE IS SOMETHING I AM NOT LOVING.

YO, SUN WARRIOR, WHY DID YOU CHANGE THE FLAVOR OF YOUR PROTEIN POWDER?! I USED TO LIKE IT AND NOW I THINK IT TASTES LIKE VOM. AND I BOUGHT $40 WORTH OF IT ON AMAZON AND CANNOT RETURN IT. WHYYYY????

FAIL.

#FAIL.

I’ve used two scoops of this and just cannot finish it. Do any of you reading actually like the taste of it? If so, how weird/creepy would it be if I sent it to you? I hate seeing it go to waste, so I’d love to give it a home. But I also know it might be weird accepting an open bag of protein powder from a stranger. You let me know, readers. Free protein powder coming your way if you trust I’m not a creep.

What products are you loving lately? Do you want my Sun Warrior Protein Powder? (For real, though.)

14 thoughts on “Rebel Grrrl Buys

1. Kibby@Kibby's Blended Life says:

I LOVE Wen! I didn’t know about their new scent though. I must check it out. I found a HUGE box set at my local thrift store several months ago with Wen stuff for $5! Yeah! Someone tried it out, didn’t like it (I guess) and couldn’t return it, so they dropped it off at thrift store. I saw the box, opened it up and shut it immediately and grabbed it off the shelf. I knew I struck gold. Ha! I have noticed a change in Sunwarrior’s flavor (Vanilla) but I still like it and use it. I know you don’t want to ship to US. If no one else wants it, I will. Thanks for sharing your FINDS – I learned something new. Have a great week, doll! :)

wow! best find at a thrift store EVER! nicely done. Kibby, the powder is YOURS! Email me your mailing address and I’ll send it right away. : )

2. Lina says:

The exact same thing happened to me with SunWarrior (Natural flavor). I couldn’t believe how bad it was and I was so upset when I realized Amazon doesn’t allow grocery returns. I emailed them about how disappointed I was and they refunded me the money even though they wouldn’t take the powder back. You should try it. I guess I will go back to Vega Choc-o-lot. Do you have any others you like?

Thank you for sharing that with me! I totally just emailed them, fingers cross they refund me too. : ) I really like the Garden of Life brand. The unflavored is good, so is the Yerba Mate, and the Raw FIT Coffee flavor.

So funny you say that about the Sun Warrior! I love the warrior blend and would totally take if you aren’t going to use it! I add 2 tablespoons along with 2 tablespoons of David Wolfe’s Immortal Machine protein to my daily green smoothie:).

It goes to show you how everyone has their own taste palettes! “One [wo]man’s trash is another [wo]man’s treasure,” as they say. Unfortunately a commenter before you be you to it. I’ll make sure I remember you next time I buy a protein powder I don’t like. ;)

That’s a bummer about the protein powder, but at least it found a good home. I’ve always wanted to have an online spice co-op in which spices and herbs can be shared around! That way everything stays fresh and you don’t need to buy a whole bag of hing for a recipe you might make once or twice, when someone nearby might be able to mail you a bag of their stash. Haha, anyway, yr powder conundrum reminded me of that.
    I like to see posts like this because, yr right, not everyone can do everything for themselves all of the time and reviews/lists make it easier for others to sift through what products are out there.

Oh my gosh, that spice co-op sounds like an amazing idea! I did have a local co-op grocery store in Mpls that had all bulk spices and you could just get a small bag. I miss that place.

Do you use the protein powder in smoothies or just with milk? It might mask the taste more to use it in a smoothie. I’ve been loving Raw Meal Vanilla (actually has less sugar than regular flavor!) in my smoothies (usually banana, hunk of ginger, lots of parsley, couple stalks celery, frozen berries, ice, 1 scoop powder) – it keeps me full a lot longer than smoothies with no powder.

Also, another vote for the chickpea miso, I buy the same brand!

I did it in a full smoothie (just a simple mango, berry, water, spinach, ginger, protein powder combo), and it was terrible. I love Garden of Life, I just need to stick with them!

Yay Chickpea Miso! : )

That chickpea miso sounds fantastic. Lately I’m obsessed with Bob’s Red Mill’s chickpea & fava bean flavor—still not over the savory pancakes I’ve been making with it.

Reading your comments on Josie Maran’s line makes me even more curious to try it. I need to learn to put on a proper face—starting to mix BB cream with my moisturizer was a big step for me lol.