Summer Nights + Lemony White Bean Dip

20130616-161358.jpg

Saturday evening started with this: a bunch of veggies, The Inspired Vegan, a refreshing mint cocktail (vodka + lime La Croix + fresh mint + ice), Hank Williams, and some dinner guests.

The plan was to make Bryant Terry’s open-faced grilled eggplant sandwiches with celeriac sauce, parsnip and carrot fries, and some appetizers.

20130616-161501.jpg

.carrot and parsnip fries.

20130616-161452.jpg

.color & shape. (eggplants & onion)

The end result was fresh, vibrant and delicious. I recommend that everyone buy a copy of Bryant Terry’s book and make this delicious recipe! The veggies were wonderful on their own, but this tangy and refreshing sauce really made the plate pop. Our friends also brought a fantastic veggie salad which they made from their CSA. Our final plate was perfectly summer.

20130616-161522.jpg

The pre-meal snacks included this stellar white bean dip. It’s super simple and worth a make.

20130616-161542.jpg

20130616-161550.jpg

Lemony White Bean Dip

1 can cannellini beans

2 T tahini

1 T olive oil

3 T lemon juice

1 t cumin

1/2 t cayenne

1 t salt

1 t lemon zest

Blend all ingredients in a food processor except the lemon zest. Add lemon zest at the end and mix in. Garnish with parsley. Serve with fresh veggies.

20130616-161555.jpg

Our dessert was fresh strawberries with coconut whipped cream. Simple and scrumptious.

20130616-161603.jpg

It was a beautiful summer night. <3

I’m submitting this to Healthy Vegan Friday and Wellness Weekend!

What’s your favorite thing to grill? What did you do this weekend?

17 thoughts on “Summer Nights + Lemony White Bean Dip

1. Peaches and Greens says:

I was also at a BBQ this weekend and someone grilled pineapple. I’ve never tried it before but it was spectacular! I’m also eating lots of fresh local strawberries, they’re so good right now! I love the sound of that dip too, sounds super easy and refreshing too! Have a fantastic week xx

2. Christy@SweetandSavoring says:

This sounds almost exactly like the hummus I made yesterday, except of course for the chickpeas rather than white beans. I’ve been getting more creative with cannellini beans lately and this is another good idea :)
    We went to a pride parade and a birthday party this weekend- it felt unusually full!

Oh that sounds delicious! I like Bryant Terry’s recipes but I don’t have any of the books. I’ve looked through them before and I love that he sets them up with an entire ambiance – musical accompaniments and everything. It makes whatever occasion so much more celebratory. Was Hank Williams yr preference, or his suggestion?
    The shot of the onion on the grill is great! They are so vibrantly purple.

I swear I want to throw a dinner party just to make coconut whipped cream. Also, love the lemon bean dip recipe! A little citrus really brightens up almost anything!

5. angela says:

All of that looks so excellent! I have that book, but have yet to make anything from it yet. I had delicious organic vegan pesto pizza and sangria at a local place last night. I love summer food so much!

6. nikki says:

What a beautiful summery meal with friends. I love all of the colors and veggies, and the carrot & parsnip fries sounds wonderful. I have a (potato) fries addiction. These might be a slightly healthier alternative ;)