WI(D)W

Happy Wednesdy! I am thrilled to announce that I handed over my dissertation to my committee on Monday! (That’s not my big news, though…that reveal won’t happen for a couple months, sorry!). I cannot explain what a relief it was to let myself be done. I still have to defend on May 20th, but I’m getting SO CLOSE!

To celebrate, I wanted to do something really healing. This process has been emotionally, mentally, and physically taxing. My mind, body, and spirit were filled with a lot of toxic energy throughout: self-doubt, anxiety, frustration, etc.

What better way to get rid of bad energy than through a three-day juice cleanse?!

As I’ve written about before, I haven’t had tons of luck with juice cleanses in the past. I realized though that one big reason was that I never made myself enough juice to make it sustainable. Juicing is great, but it’s time consuming and I just never had it in me to make enough to last me even a full day. That’s why I was stoked to discover The Juice Works, a Minneapolis-based juice delivery company. They do all the work for you, and deliver the fresh juices right to your door! I knew that I could manage a cleanse if I had all of the juices ready and waiting.

I will be writing more about my experience on the cleanse along with a review of The Juice Works on Monday. But for now, here is a look at Day One, in honor of “What I Ate Drank Wednesday“! 20130507-195020.jpg

Morning green juice: Kale, Romaine, Spinach, Celery, Ginger and Lemon Juice. Chilling on my yoga mat, like a baller.

20130507-195042.jpg

Afternoon carrot and romaine juice. Hanging out by my afternoon pleasure reading.

20130507-195048.jpg

Later afternoon: Carrots, Romaine, Spinach, Ginger, Beets and Lemon Juice. Hanging out in my bag, which was resting in my bike crate. Yay bike weather!

20130507-195054.jpg

Dinner: another green juice.

20130507-195059.jpg

Carrot and romaine for “dessert.”

The Juice Works provides six juices a day, but I wasn’t able to get all six in. Maybe today.

I’ll be back on Friday with the Friday Five, then again on Monday with a more thorough review of the cleanse! Stay tuned!

Have you ever done a juice cleanse? How do you like to celebrate big accomplishments?

15 thoughts on “WI(D)W

1. Peaches and Greens says:

Yayyy!!! Turning in your dissertation is the best feeling ever! I was pretty much at a loss as to what to do in that in-between phase so I’m glad that you’re taking the time to do something constructive like cleansing (I’m pretty sure I did the opposite of that hehe). Good luck preparing for your defense!

Thanks, lady! I figured it was a good time to restore before the defense so I could clear my head again and approach with work with energy rather than dread. That said, I am sort of majorly looking forward to some sharing some alcoholic libations with friends after the defense. : )

Thank you! It feels so amazing to be done!

I think it’s good to go into a juice cleanse with an attitude that allows you to stop if it’s not working for you. The attempts I’ve made in the past did not feel good in my body, so I stopped. Some people will tell you that’s part of the detox process, which is probably true, but it was never worth it to me. This time around, just having so much more juice in my body is helping a lot, and although I have mild detox symptoms, they are much more manageable! I’d say, give it a try, but listen to your body! : )

2. kate marrin says:

i generally celebrate with a pizza, however… you are probably headed down a better path. I have done a one day juice cleanse, and felt awesome, but really hungry the next day. And probably celebrated with..pizza. shh..

Good on you! I simply cannot do a juice-only cleanse…. my brain cannot handle the fact that it requires NO chewing….. simply can’t! The juices sound great though :)

It takes some getting used to, for sure. I do not know how people do super long juice cleanses, but I think I’m going to handle three just fine. That said, I will be very much looking forward to chewing again on Friday. : )

Congrats! That’s an amazing accomplishment! I hope you have a good experience with the juice cleanse : )
    My favorite way to celebrate is over drinks and/or dinner with friends. I also like to treat myself to a reflexology massage after a big or stressful project or event.

Yes, dinner and drinks will be the post-defense celebration. I’ve never had a reflexology massage…What’s the biggest difference between that and a deep-tissue massage?

5. Natalia says:

Woohoo!! and that sounds like a great (+ refreshing!) way to celebrate and “rebalance!” I’ve never done a juice fast, but I might consider doing the same when I hand in my thesis for my masters next year! xx