WIAW, etc.

Happy Wednesday, everyone! I managed to snap photos of almost everything I consumed yesterday, so I figured I’d grace everyone with a WIAW. Thanks to Jenn for hosting!

***

I’ve been trying to eat a little something before I workout in the AM, but I just wasn’t hungry enough yesterday, so the first meal of the day wasn’t until after exercising.  I discovered a new series of YouTube exercise videos that are pretty bomb. I did this and this, followed by some yoga, and it was an excellent way to start the day.

Meal one was my go-to smoothie of late: grapefruit, coconut water, spinach, mango, berries, ginger, protein powder. I can’t get enough of this combo. I had one and a half mason jars full of this bad boy.

20130326-203921.jpg

Meal two was a rather ugly mash of banana, cinnamon, and almond butter. Healthy-fat study fuel.

20130326-221209.jpg

Carrots to snack on at the coffee shop while I worked:

20130326-203932.jpg

Then for dinner a giant salad of kale and dandelion greens, topped with a lime avocado dressing (1/4 avo + juice from 1 lime) and steamed sweet potato. I used lime instead of lemon to try to spice things up, but honestly, I prefer my usual lemon dressing.

20130326-203939.jpg

My tummy was still grumbling, so I snacked on two brown rice cakes after dinner. I don’t love having packaged food like this, but they are organic and sometimes a gal just craves something snacky, you know?

20130326-203944.jpg

Then I had a maca/carob/chaga tonic. Yum.

20130326-221129.jpg

I know last time I took pictures of music and books I was reading, which I didn’t do this time, but that’s because “pleasure reading” was non-existent yesterday. I was engaging with a lot of texts for my dissertation, but I’m not sure how interested ya’ll would be in that. (But maybe you are, so, links). As far as music, I just let my coffee shop baristas play DJ because they were doing an amazing job. Yesterday the soundtrack consisted of this album, and this one, and this one. Nicely played, baristas!

What have you been eating/reading/exercising/listening to lately?

12 thoughts on “WIAW, etc.

1. Monica Bogue says:

Hi Raechel,
    I love getting your emails twice a week. Thanks for all your great info.I first saw your name and some postings in the clean program. i am doing my third clean right now :). I have a question for you, I never use Chaga or Maca but i have been hearing a lot about it. Which brand of Chaga and Maca do you like and are they both powdered?

Hi Monica! It’s great to meet another CLEAN-er! : ) I get the Essential Living Foods brand chaga and maca powder from their online store: http://essentiallivingfoods.com/. I can’t say I notice drastic differences in how I feel, but I do buy in to the benefits of each, and think they are probably having a subtle effect on my overall health!

2. Laura says:

You seriously have the BEST smoothie creations. I always look to your blog when I’m in the mood for a new smoothie and I KNOW yours will be good ;)

“Coffee shop music” has got to be a genre by now, doesn’t it? I love Joanna Newsom, she’s incredible. So do you drink coffee at the coffee shop, or do they just let you hang out? I like the sound of the tonic a lot! Do you sweeten it at all, or does the maca round it out? I’d definitely be interested in hearing how you make that. Have you ever tried reishi powder?

It ought to be a genre, for sure! I always order tea from the coffee shop—I forgot to take a pic, but I always get a pot of a jasmine/ginger mix.

I make the tonic a couple different ways. It’s always a mix of hot water/maca/carob/chaga powder and I just mix that up and don’t add anything (the maca is definitely slightly sweet)—OR I add a drop of stevia, a half a banana, or a couple dates and blend it together. The dates and banana option make it kind of creamy and frothy which I’m into!

I haven’t tried reishi but I hear it’s pretty magical. Do you use it?

4. nikki says:

Yum, that tonic sounds wonderful. I’ve been putting grapefruit into my smoothies the past few days and love the tart flavor.

My textbooks for next term are arriving tomorrow, and because I’m a giant overachiever I will begin pre-reading a week before the first day of class. :)

All of your food looks delicious, and perfect for study fuel.