PSA: Rest!

I’m taking a break from my wild spring break* to bring you a Public Service Announcement on the importance of rest. (*By “wild spring break,” I mean “sitting sick on the couch”). You may recall that I mentioned being sick last week, but that I was “almost 100%” on Friday. Well, almost 100% quickly plummeted to about 40%.

The problem? I never actually gave myself time to rest. I “let” myself cancel plans last Thursday, but other than that, and a brief stint on the couch on Wednesday afternoon, I was doing daily workouts, doing presentations, working on my dissertation, and being social. I was trying to “fake it ’til I made it,” but that advice, while sage at times, blew up in my face in this case.

tissues, steeping hot water with lemon and ginger, natural zinc losanges

sicky survival kit: tissues, hot water with lemon and ginger, natural zinc lozenges, (oh, and bad television)

I blame my Pitta dosha. The idea of resting sounds truly awful. Even the concept of “relaxing” makes me tense up a little bit.

Skip a workout? Not hustle to my office/coffee shop and produce another round of dissertation chapter revisions? Not go meet my friends for spring break drinks at the bar?

I wasn’t having it. So I did all that stuff anyway, sickness be damned.

And here I am today, a full week after I first noticed a sore throat, feeling almost as bad as I felt that first day. :(

But I’m taking it easy for real today. Didn’t go to my sculpt class (sigh). Didn’t go the coffee shop. Just hanging out with bad TV, and tending to non-dissertation related work (so that I don’t have to expend too much brain energy either). It’s the pits, but I have a feeling I’ll thank myself tomorrow.

I know being sick can be especially challenging for those of us with ED pasts. Not being able to exercise, and craving less-than-ideal food (think more oats, less greens), can be kind of triggering. So I’m trying super hard to remember one of the most important lessons from yoga: everything is temporary. (I have to blog this out loud a lot, don’t I? Kind of a method of accountability, I guess). I say this to my yoga students every class, but, admittedly, I don’t always remember it myself. Sometimes we’re stuck in situations that feel so all-encompassingly awful it’s hard to believe that the light at the end of the tunnel exists. That goes for physical illness, heartache, overwhelming work projects, etc.

But for the sake of practicing what I preach, I’m going to acknowledge and embrace these germs, make peace with them, and kindly invite them to be on their way whenever they’re ready. In the meantime, I will remind myself that health is near and also maybe try to explore what getting sick might mean beyond the contraction of germs. Did my body just really need a break and knew getting sick was the only way I’d take it? Am I starting to manifest stress about my school and work as physical illness? (Doesn’t take a therapist or alternative healer to figure out that those things might be contributing to this nonsense, eh?)

So, here’s hoping I’ll be back on Friday in full health!

How do you cope with being sick? Any favorite food or holistic remedy that you use to fight a bad cold? (Srsly, please share, I want to know all the things!)

17 thoughts on “PSA: Rest!

Thanks Allison! I’ve been doing that miso soup I actually made when you were over one night, but tonight I was craving tomatoes for some reason, so I just invented another tomato veggie soup which was pretty good. Spice is key for me, though.

Echinacea tincture!!! Get some immediately and take it every 4 hours – works SO well – rest up my love, your body (and mind) need some down time that’s for sure!

Thanks for the reminder to take a breather! I always try to push through and wind up completely wiped—and worse off than when I started. I’ve been super-fatigued lately, but I think it’s mood-related. I bought new lipstick today and made sure to spend some time in the sun.

As far as legit sickness remedies go, I love making a tea of turmeric, ground ginger, and black pepper—totally kicks the ass of whatever ails ya. I’m also a big believer in eating or drinking whatever appeals to you when you’re under the weather. Feel better!

Perhaps this explains why I get sick so rarely :) I feel happiest when I’m busy but busy for me usually means staying in to write or read. I’m not a very social person, so “me time,” soup, and vitamins usually make me feel better pretty quickly.
    Try not to be too hard on yrself for caring about yrself! Feel better soon.

You know, I’m like a 55/45 introvert/extrovert, respectively. I looove me time and “in-nights,” but if I go over a week without being social, I start to feel super sad. So for spring break I promised myself to take advantage of the time to go hang out with friends, and it was disappointing that those plans were derailed by this cold. But I hear you. Thanks for the support!

4. Natalia says:

Oh I hope you feel better soon missy! I find that endless cups of tea, my cat, and If Im lucky to have her around, my mum make me feel better fairly soon :) When I was little, my dziadek (granddad) would put raw minced garlic on toast for me… it always helped, but I feel sorry for anyone who had to be near me afterwards! ;) x

I know, I wish I had my momma with me! She would absolutely help me get back to health! And I know what you mean about the garlic. So helpful, but so pungent!

5. angela says:

It’s such a drag to be sick over break! Hope you get to have at least a little fun before it’s over.
    I second the oil of oregano! I buy the Spectrum brand and add 5-8 drops to water and take 2-3 times a day when I feel something coming on. Also, lots of raw garlic eaten with hummus. I like to make this soup, too: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/colleen-s-garlic-and-greens-soup-vegan-191231/ You could replace the veggie bouillon with a few TBS of miso , I’d think.