Dandelion Green & Mushroom Tomato Soup

20130318-083215.jpg

I made this delicious soup when I was sick last week. I had been having my raw salads for dinner for weeks, but my scratchy throat was begging for something warm, and my sinuses were requesting something spicy. The dandelion greens in this soup give it a natural spicy kick, and are also great for detoxing (a plus anytime of the year, but especially if you have germs to shed).

Adding tomatoes and mushrooms made this soup reminiscent of a minestrone, but tasted a lot more fresh and comforting than most Italian soups I’ve had. And I’m usually sensitive to garlic, but I know it’s another great immunity-boosting food, so this soup is also great for garlic lovers!

I know it’s not very springy, but for those of you who are still experiencing “soup weather” where you live, this one’s for you. (And, yes, it’s definitely still “soup weather” here in Minneapolis. It’s currently blizzard-ing outside my window, and we’re supposed to have at least three inches of snow accumulation. Ughhhh. Winter go awaaaayyy!!!)

Dandelion Green & Mushroom Tomato Soup

1 T olive oil

1 t red pepper flakes

pinch salt

1 medium onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 cups button mushrooms

1 can organic fire roasted tomatoes

1 large zucchini, chopped

1 32 oz. carton of veggie broth

4 c dandelion greens, chopped

1/2 lemon

Pour olive oil into soup pot. Chop the onion and garlic, add it to the pot, and cook over medium heat until onion is translucent. Add the red pepper flakes and salt, stir. Add your chopped mushrooms, zucchini, can of tomatoes, and broth and continue to heat stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes. Add your dandelion greens and cook until greens are wilted. Serve, squeeze lemon on top (don’t omit! this makes it really pop!).

20130318-083226.jpg

I’m submitting this recipe to Wellness Weekend and Healthy Vegan Friday!

Is it still soup weather where you live? What’s your favorite go-to soup to make when you’re either sick or cold?

25 thoughts on “Dandelion Green & Mushroom Tomato Soup

1. Sara.Jordan24 says:

Dandelion greens soup! This sounds delish! I’m wondering where you find dandelion greens, aside from in your yard in the summer lol. I’ve never actually had the greens but I’ve had dandelion jelly when I was young. My mom likes to make jelly out of anything.

Wow, dandelion jelly sounds kind of amazing! I get my dandelion greens at Whole Foods. Do you have a WF in your area? I would think any health-food type grocery store should carry them! They are really wonderful!

• Sara.Jordan24 says:

No Whole Foods here, the closest one is a province away . I get most of my produce delivered in an organic food box from local farmers. I’ll have to keep an eye out at the health food store for them next time I take a trip into the city!

Yummo, I love dandelion greens – and SO good for you…. this soups sounds just the ticket for some nourishing comfort – it IS getting cooler over here at the moment too, so soups are starting to sound attractive ;)

3. Rande McDaniel says:

My goodness, this sounds wonderful! Although I’m juice feasting so most food does ;) I don’t know whether or not I’ll be going back to any cooked foods after this but this definitely sounds tasty if I do!

4. Linda Dale says:

Hi Raechel. Can’t wait to try this soup but have a question. Your ingredients list calls for 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes but doesn’t specify which size. I’ve seen them in 28 oz. and 15.5 oz. Which do you recommend?

5. Tiffany everett says:

I tried this dish. It was great the first time. So yesterday, I took the left over soup and added some rotiserie chicken. Even better.