Happy Friday! I am definitely happy to say that I’m almost 100% over a nasty  cold that hit me late Tuesday night. Wednesday was awful, Thursday morning was worse, but by last night I was starting to feel human again. I get sick so rarely these days, so when I do, it somehow feels extra-terrible.

It’s a good thing those sickies peaced out because as of today I’m officially on spring break! While a handful of my circa 2003 myspace friends might call this “sPrInG bReAk!!!”, nowadays, it’s more appropriately titled “spring” “break.” Both “spring” and “break” in danger-quotes, because both of them are sort of false. We’ve got snow in the forecast for the weekend, and a “break” for grad students usually just means “more time to write!” All that being said, I’m still going to approach next week with a little more commitment to fun.

And what better way to kick-off a fun spring break week than with St. Patrick’s Day? I’m not a big drinker, so that’s not the fun part for me, but I am a big themer, and so I’m stoked to have an excuse to make and wear green things. And play my favorite Irish music.

So to kick it off: a spring break/St. Paddy’s Day-themed Friday Five!

1. Raw Cauliflower Tabouli

This mostly green dish sounds healthy and delicious. I love parsley-heavy taboulis, and love them even more when they are wheat-free. Check out this version from The Healthy Blender.

a3f69d9e347f3c47a809a1f575a3e0dc5ffffd07

2. Emotional Spring Cleaning

I’m pretty into this article by Dr. Tim Brieske which I discovered through the Deepak Chopra Meditation Challenge in which I’m currently participating. It talks about how we’re socialized to believe we have to push certain emotions away, but he encourages the opposite. In order to rid ourselves of emotional toxicity, we first have to sit with our feelings—good and bad. Read more here. (I’m working on both emotional and physical spring cleaning. Namely, my closet. So if anyone wants any clothes, I’m the girl to see.)

3. Mint Brownies

Holy healthy(ish) decadence, you guys! These brownies from Natural Sweet Recipes obviously look amazing, but you’ll be even more stoked after you read the ingredients list. It’s mostly fruit and bean based, and calls for very little added (coconut) sugar. Perfect for St. Paddy’s Day!

brownieee-580x870

4. 8 Ways to Spend Spring Break When You’re Stuck in Your Hometown

I sort of love this list from Thought Catalog for those of us who can’t afford (time-wise or money-wise) to take a trip for our spring breaks. A lot of these things on the list are already part of my life, so, like, I’m in.

5. Pints of Guinness Make You Strong

Okay, so I don’t condone the song title. Pints of Guinness will actually just make you sick. But this is one of my favorite St. Patrick’s Day appropriate songs by one of my favorite bands. This may not be everyone’s cup of tea (er, pint of beer?), so feel free to skip pressing play if you can’t relate to being 19, fist in the air, dancing with your friends in a dirty punk house, singing this song on the top of your lungs.  <3

Do you have a spring break? What will you do to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? Any other Against Me! fans out there?

1. Peaches and Greens says:

I can relate to the graduate student version of spring break where you hesitantly take the Thursday/Friday off and feel wracked with guilt! This time last year I had just defended my PhD, and took full advantage of spring break by living it up at SXSW. The life of a post-doc is a little different however; no seminars for a week, woo :-/ Point is, make the absolute most of it while you still can :) Also, thanks for the emotional spring cleaning inspiration! Really enjoy you Friday 5 every week!

2. Kibby@Kibby's Blended Life says:

Hell yes! on the article by Tim Brieske and those mint brownies. I am very passionate about the mind-body connection and emotions are extremely important to embrace so that we can clear them out and make room for the good. I am also in the process of cleaning out my closet too. I love doing it – cleansing process on several layers. I’m doing the Deepak Chopra meditation challenge also and enjoying it. Scott is out of town this weekend and I think I will make these brownies as a surprise when he gets home on Sunday evening. :)

Also, I am SO GLAD you are feeling better, my dear! I rarely get sick too, but when something comes into my bodily eco-system sometimes, YIKES! On a positive note, you timed it well for your Spring break and now you’re cleaner and ready to absorb some of the good stuff. Have a great week and LOTS OF FUN! Thinking of you!

Love Deepak Chopra. I love the idea of emotional spring cleaning. Though I make time to write and meditate most days, I’ve been spending a lot of extra time with my journal lately—mostly writing down my crazy-ass dreams! Thanks for sharing the link.

I’m definitely, constantly into the idea of emotional as well as physical spring cleaning. It’s so necessary.
    I’d also really be into the brownies but the link doesn’t work for me. As for Against me! I’m not the biggest fan but I like a couple of their songs and this one’s pretty fitting for St. Pats. Nice.

5. nikki says:

Haha, my 36 year old self went to a dirty punk house show just a few months ago. There are some things I will most likely never outgrow :)

Those brownies look awesome. Have fun on your “spring” “break”. I have one coming up, too!

36?! Gurl, you look great! I’m glad to hear stories like that, though, it reminds me that I still have time to feel young (because somehow at 28, I already feel old!).

Just want to say I love your Friday Five, you always find such great stuff to share! We had a depressing St. Pat’s, husband still at home recovering from surgery, no whiskey for me =(.
    If you really need to unload some clothes, I am your girl – I love your style, but hate shopping!