Happy Friday, readers! How was your week? I had a very busy week , and I am definitely glad it’s the weekend again. Even though I tend to work on the weekends, there is still something different about Saturdays and Sundays. Good different!

It dawned on me that this would be the last Friday Five before Valentine’s Day (!). Obviously, this is an occasion that calls for lots of theme-y goodness. So without further ado:

1. Raw Valentine’s Day Cupcakes

This recipe from Better Raw is a bit involved, and you’ll have to sub the honey to make it totally vegz, but it’d surely be worth it to get this as a final result! Beautiful raw cupcakes for heart day! Love it!

P1030513

2. European Union Bans Animal-Tested Cosmetics

This article details how the EU implemented a ban on any cosmetic product that had been tested on animals. Wow! Way to go EU!

3. Raw Heart Sandwich Cookies

I rarely admit this, but, really, I’d take a cookie over a cupcake any day. So if you’re not feeling the V-day cupcakes, why not try these super adorbs sandwich cookies from The Healing Kitchen? The pinner (re: person who pinned it on pinterest), dubbed this the perfect treat to share for “Galentine’s Day.” Indeed!

Raw-vegan-valentine-linzer

4. Fair Trade Your Valentine’s Day

Just a friendly reminder that ethical eating and consuming should be intersectional. That is, it’s not just about animals, it’s not just about the environment, it’s not just about labor…It’s about all those things, as they are all interconnected. Voting with our dollar can only do so much, but it does do something, so this Valentine’s Day, buy fair trade! Here’s a great resource to make it easy on you.

Valentines-Graphic

5. Skinny Love Piggy Love

You guys. I just realized that this will be the third week in a row that a pig has been featured in the Friday Five. I think I might be more in love with baby pigs than bulldogs right now, which is saying A LOT. But seriously, look at this!

Melting, right?

How was your week? Any fun plans for the weekend? Any special plans for Valentine’s Day? Do you try to buy fair trade?

1. nikki says:

I have such a mega sweet tooth that there’s no way I could pick between cupcakes and cookies. I would just eat them all, haha. I do have a soft spot for pie, though, above everything else. Anyways, the cookies are really cute and I’m sure they taste wonderful.

That little pig is the sweetest.

Not sure what I’m doing on v-day, but it’s one of my favorite days. My sweetie and I are thinking about getting semi-matching vegetable tattoos. We’re just trying to come up with some cute designs. I love valentine’s day because I love hearts. I’ve never been one of those v-day haters :)

I try to buy fair trade whenever it’s available. I’ve been more conscious of my consumer choices lately and try to buy things that have a positive impact in as many areas as possible. I’ve only recently brought this into my awareness, so it’s been an interesting new adventure. But I like feeling good about where I put my dollar.

• raechel @the rebel grrrl kitchen says:

Mmmm, pie! I love pie, but I think cookies still trump everything for me.

I am the same way about Valentine’s Day! I love the cute theme-y hearts and red and pink! I’ve been a fan of it every year, whether or not I’ve been in a relationship or not! So fun! : )

2. Kibby@Kibby's Blended Life says:

Great! Piggies are precious! I am going to an Anusara Yoga workshop on Sat. with John Friend in Asheville, NC (just for the day) all by myself. Stepping out of my comfort zone and going on an adventure solo (husband is out of town). At first, I was nervous and scared to do it, I talked with myself, let it go, and now I am EXCITED for Saturday. Breaking old patterns/thoughts/habits – WOOHOO! Have a great weekend! :)

Totally agree with you about cookies vs cupcakes. I’m planning to try to relax a little this weekend, even though I have an research assignment to work on. Last year I hosted Valentines Day dinner for some of my single girlfriends, and while I have plans to make plans for the day before, I’d be totally content hanging out at home and doing, like, doing my nails on Thursday.

I’m with you on cookies over anything! Totally gonna make those. Also LOVE that pig.How adorable. As for Fair Trade chocolate, I kinda put some research into brands and stuff a while ago and now just stick to those certain companies. That way I don’t have to worry about it every time I want to grab some chocolate (which happens a lot :))

Both those Valentine’s Day treats look so good! I am a cookie person too! Maybe it’s because I can eat 2 and not feel guilty. You cannot say the same thing about cupcakes ;)

That is so cool about the EU. They are always so ahead of us in North America!

That pig is precious!