Hey friends! Real quick Friday Five this week. I’m on a research-related trip and have had very little computer time, so I’ve gotta keep this short. Hope you had a great week!

1. PUMPKIN!

I was sooo happy to see that Angela had several unapologetic pumpkin posts this week, including one about making your own pumpkin butter. It’s not officially fall according to the calendar, but if we start making things with pumpkin it sure will feel like it!

2. Stop Counting Calories, Start Checking Ingredients

A great post from deborah allison RAW about why ingredients are more important than fat/calorie grams.

3. Raw Coconut Avocado “Fries”

It was not so long ago that I featured a recipe from Gabby, but she just keeps making amazing things, and I couldn’t not share this gem: raw coconut avocado fries with sweet chili sauce (!!!!). Sounds pretty awesome, right? Also tooootally makes me want to finally suck it up and buy a dehydrator!

4. Trash for Food at Mexico City barter market

I actually read about this on the airplane magazine on my flight this morning. Have you heard about this? Sounds good in theory, but I’ve also heard that most people end up getting there after the food runs out, and thus are sort of “tricked” into recycling…Is it worth the means to the end? What do you think?

5. Drunk Kitchen (!)

I’ve been a fan of this gal for a while, and I am surprised she’s never made it on a Friday Five. It’s hard to pick a favorite, but if you watch one, I guarantee you’ll want to visit her Youtube channel and watch more. Tots amazing. (Also, not remotely vegan, heads up).

Charming, right?

What are you up to this weekend? Whatever you do….HOPE IT’S SUPER AWESOME! <3

Rachel! You have amazing taste my dear ;)

But seriously, that article about not counting calories but checking ingredients is great! And any celebration of pumpkin is good with me! I’ve seen those Drunk Kitchen videos before and they are too funny! They have one vegan one don’t they?

The food for trash concept sounds interesting! I think it’s a shame they don’t have enough food though and are tricking people. I think in the end that will have people feeling resentful for having recycled and I don’t think that’s a step in the right direction. Good idea, just needs some work on implementation!

• raechel @the rebel grrl kitchen says:

Good taste, indeed. ; )

Really good point about the recycling program….In fact, I read a quote from a woman who took several buses to get to the market just to be disappointed and literally said, “I wish I would have just thrown this away.” Still needs work for sure.

2. aratota says:

I can’t wait to start shamelessly flaunting pumpkin and apple recipes. Yay fall! So I am a huge fan of the “ingredients over calories” approach and follow it as much as I can. Deborah’s post was a great reminder of the benefits of fruits and veggies, and I definitely need that during halloween candy season — buuutttt — con: the post sort of felt like an assault on food, and while fruits and veggies are obviously the best thing you can eat, I don’t necessarily think responsibly-raised meats consumed in moderation, or whole grains should be demonized, either. Just my two cents, for what it’s worth! (about two cents.)

• raechel @the rebel grrl kitchen says:

I can’t wait to see what pumpkin and apple recipes you come up with! Re: the assault on food. I hear you, and yet I have begun to drink some of the detox lifestyle kool-aid. That being said, I don’t really think it makes sense for everyone. And by “dont really think” I mean, I definitely don’t think it makes sense for everyone. It can get pretty extremist….I try to take what works, and work toward encouraging folks to be thoughtful about their food choices, no matter what they’re eating.

ARV I WANT TO HANG OUT WITH YOU AND TALK ABOUT FOOD (AND EAT FOOD) FOR LIKE A WHOLE DAY. Let’s make that happen.

3. Christy Milford says:

Pumpkin butter! I’m trying to imagine how that tastes, but since I love pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread, something tells me it would be wonderful. Adding it to the list!

In the school library right now or else I would check out that video- later!

And I definitely feel you on the “fries”- coconut? yes please. avocado? always. sweet chili sauce? Hell yes :)

4. Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia says:

um ok..the pumpkin butter sounds fab! I fell in love with Gabby’s Raw coconut avocado fries as soon as I saw them..fan-freakin-tastic! And..I’ve never heard of Drunk Kitchen omg/lol!! I watched a few episodes..HILL-air-ious!! thx for sharing your Friday Five, you always seem to have the bestest of the best listed on here!! :) xo

5. melody says:

i usually do not find drunk-humor funny, but she is the best. so so so cute. and funny. i figure she is that funny sober too. JUST LIKE MEEEEEEEEE