Coconut Steel-Cut Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Here’s the thing. I pretty much always want chocolate chip cookies. When I get a dessert craving at the end of the night and go experiment in the kitchen, really all I ever want to make is chocolate chip cookies. I mix it up for the sake of the blog, and because I usually share my creations with other people at events that need more theme-appropriate treats. But when it comes down to it, I would be content with a lifetime of chocolate-chip cookies for dessert.

Fortunately, the chocolate chip cookie is a versatile creature that lends itself to unique formulas, (especially when the baker is vegan, health-conscious, and avoiding gluten). I wanted to get a bit creative with this batch, so I decided to spruce them up with coconut and steel-cut oats.

Steel-cut oats have more nutritional value than regular oats because they are less processed. Win. Also, every time I say the name ‘steel-cut oats’ I think of steel-toed boots, and I always envision steel-cut oats throwing down in the pit at a punk/ska show. Win, again.

I just added the oats raw, so they provide a fun crunchy texture to the otherwise soft, delicious, coconuty cookies.

Coconut Steel-Cut Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies (vegan, gluten-free, oilr free, refined sugar free)

1 c oat flour

1/4 c brown rice flour

1/4 c almond flour

1 T ground flax

1/4 t baking soda

1/4 t salt

3 T steel cut oats (gluten-free)

1 T unsweetened coconut flakes

1 c unsweetened applesauce

1 t vanilla

1/4 c agave

1/3 c chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Mix all your dry ingredients together in one bowl, your wet ingredients in another, then mix together. Spoon dough onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.

If you could only have one kind of cookie for the rest of your life, what would you pick?

PS: Do you like the new blog layout? I think it looks kind of spiffy! : )

17 thoughts on “Coconut Steel-Cut Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Hmm I think if I could only have one kind of cookie, I’d go for soft ginger-molasses cookies but chocolate chip is a classic too. There are a lot of variations so I’m sure you could fudge it and have 3 or 4 different kinds of chocolate chip cookies ;) Nice addition of steel cut oats. I’ve only used rolled oats but I bet the texture is a lot more fun.

2. Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia says:

I’d love to have a trail mix sort of cookie..with cranberries, raisins, pecans, oats, coconut, chocolate, etc. My 7 year old son on the other hand would love to have the biggest cookie in the world..”It would be the size 20 feet long..with almonds, chocolate and big sprinkles. It would be called “Canada’s Biggest Cookie”. :)) Your cookies sounds so yummy btw..thx for sharing the recipe :D

Your son and I are on the same page. I always think my love of cookies could rival that of Cookie Monsters! Sounds like your son could add some competition too. ; )

Hmm if I could have only one cookies- probably some kind of oatmeal chocolate chip and raisin concoction to combine my 2 favourites- oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip!

These look so scrumptious. Based on my above favourites, you can tell they are right up my alley :)

I love the idea of using steel-cut oats in cookies! If I had to pick one cookie for the rest of my life, it would probably be chocolate chocolate chip—with dark chocolate chips and maybe some dried cherries. And by maybe, I mean absolutely.

5. KatsHealthCorner says:

I absolutely ADORE your new layout! It totally fits your personality! :D I always love your recipes — they are always so wholesome and delicious. I love how you combined the different whole grains to make an incredible treat! Thanks so much! :D

6. Kari @ bite-sized thoughts says:

These look great! I love the addition of oats :) I rarely make cookies (not sure why, my imagination just runs in other sweet directions!) but am sure I’d enjoy these.

I WANT these – and also LOVE the new look for the blog – very groovy! I can’t wait till I get a new oven so I can properly bake again (it just BURNS everything at the moment, bah)