Millet Puff Peanut Butter Cups

It’s summer. A hot, hot summer. And when the temperatures rise, no-bake desserts are where.it’s.at. (!!!). Let’s be real, I like no-bake desserts all year round (they tend to healthier! and faster!), but it really is especially appealing when turning on the oven sounds like a nightmare.

I whipped these cuties up for a ladies night a couple weeks ago. Four terrific gal pals and I had been going through some tough times (relationship drama, family drama, self-drama….we’ve all been there, right?), so one of the women called for an old-fashioned slumber party. Of course, I promised to bring some healthy vegan treats (because that’s sorta my thing).

I’ve seen versions of this kind of treat all over, but they’re usually made with rice cereal. And I decided that rice has officially spent it’s 15 minutes of fame, and wanted to pass the torch to an oft overlooked grain: millet.

(Side note: Funny story about “millet.” Thanks to 5 years of French class, I honestly thought millet was pronounced “mee-lay.” My partner only had the heart to correct me a little while ago, even though I’d been saying it that way since we started dating. lols, right?).

This recipe is simple, wholesome, and waaaay better for you than a traditional rice crispy treat. I found these adorable little tart tins at a thrift store, but if you don’t have those, just put all the “batter” in a small pan.

Millet Puff Peanut Butter Cups

2 c millet puffs

1/2 c brown rice syrup

1/2 c peanut butter

1 tsp vanilla

1/4 tsp sea salt

1/4 cup chocolate chips (vegan, fair trade)

2 T shredded unsweetened coconut for topping

Bring brown rice syrup, peanut butter, and vanilla to a boil. Mix in the millet puffs and a pinch of salt. Mix in your chocolate chips. Evenly distribute in tart pans or small baking pan. Spread coconut on top, as much as desired.

(Want some more healthy food recipes? As always, check out Ricki’s Wellness Weekend over at Diet, Dessert, and Dogs!)

How was your weekend? Do you like no-bake desserts? Is there a word that you always mispronounce, and secretly prefer your way to the “right” way?

12 thoughts on “Millet Puff Peanut Butter Cups

1. kimberlykps says:

I mispronounce all the time! There are a lot of words that I know only from reading them, and I’ll try to use them in a conversation and mess them up. Via, Cacophony (I always say cack-a-phony instead of ca-caw-phony, if that makes sense!)…so many others. I try new words out on Bri first to see if I’m saying them right.

Haha I have so many words in my vocab that I’m not 100% sure how to say- like cacao. I guess that’s the problem with doing all my foodie-learning from books and over the internet ;)

These look awesome! I love millet puffs :)

3. zosia says:

Hi Raechel!

I am about to take the plunge and sign up for YTT – Can you give me (us) an update of how your training is going!

Thanks and great recipe :)

Oh wow, I am SO excited for you! Are you going through Corepower or another studio/style?

I plan to do a big update next week, but I can give you the short version now: I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! As you know, it’s a major time and financial investment, but I have not regretted the decision at all. I am learning so much, so quickly, and I’m making great friends. I feel like it’s adding so much positivity to my life….I can’t say enough good things about it. Congratulations on taking the plunge! Please keep me posted on how you like it!

4. absolutely ayurveda says:

Ooh these look fantastic! Can’t wait to bring them to my study group this weekend.

Let’s see… there are so many words that I have mispronounced over the years as English was my fifth language (and learned 18 years later than the others!)

“Lasagna” is something that I always say as “las aGG neh”, which is just my own Arab way of saying it hehe. my partner still says it my way to make me feel better since for some reason i just can’t get it right!

beautiful new layout, btw <3

Awwwww! “las aGG neh”! SO CUTE! : )

Thanks for the layout-love. I’m trying to step it up a notch over here! : )