This week’s WIAW is going to be pretty simple: 3 smoothies + water + tea + supplements. I decided to do a day of liquids based on the Dr. Oz 3-day Detox Cleanse to help reset my system after a weekend of indulgences.
I decided to do just one day instead of three because I have learned that my particular dosha does not do well on liquid-only diets for prolonged periods of time. (This proved true; by the end of last night, I was not in fine form). The other reason I felt okay cutting this short is because my “indulgences” over the weekend were fairly limited. In other words, I don’t have that much to detox from. I certainly ate more than usual, but with the exception of a roll and a couple cookies, I still stuck to choices that were vegan/gluten-free/refined sugar-free. That’s the cool thing about being a clean eater—-you build up a much lower tolerance for food that does not do good things for your body.
Liebster comes from the German word for “dearest,” and the award is designed to honor and promote bloggers that you appreciate. It’s also a way to get to know the blog creators a little better. It has five parts:
- Write 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 interview questions you’ve been given by the person who nominated you.
- Create 11 new questions.
- Nominate 11 bloggers and mention them in your post.
- Go and tell the person who nominated you, along with the people you’ve nominated about your post.
11 Random Facts
1. My middle name is “Lee Ann” (initials, “LA”). When I was a kid I wanted to be an actress, and I was convinced that having the L.A. middle initials was a sign that I should move to Los Angeles (LA) to be in the movies. Ha.
2. On a related note, when I was in 4th grade, I used to write scripts for the TV show “ER” with a guest starring role written specifically for me. This was due in large part to my intense celebrity crush on Noah Wylie.
3. I’ve been in three bands and also played music as a solo artist. The names of the bands were (in chronological order): The Rooftop View, Portions for Foxes, and The Glow of 1804. (Points for you if you know to what pop cultural references the last two allude).
4. I have seven tattoos. My very first tattoo includes a lyric from a Bright Eyes song. #noregrets #emokid
5. I got my first job when I was 15. I worked at Wendy’s and it was terrible.
6. I am a text-book Aquarius.
7. My first protest was in 2002, against the Iraq war. A gazillion protests later, I can’t imagine a life that didn’t include activism and social justice work.
8. I tend to prefer grey days more than sunny ones.
9. I wrote a novel during my junior year of college. It was inspired by my friendship with a young man who was diagnosed with HIV our freshman year. Sometimes I re-read it and feel a lot of feelings.
10. I really, really, really like cookies.
11. My favorite item of clothing is a pair of high-waisted jean shorts that I got from Forever 21 many years ago. I wear them year-round (with tights in the winter). I think they look pin-up-ish and that makes me a happy femme.
1. If you had to limit yourself to 10 foods for one week, what would they be?
This is easy: Almond milk, spinach, frozen fruit, almond butter, gluten-free oats, sweet potatoes, avocado, kale, vegan chocolate, nutritional yeast, broccoli.
2. If you came into a large amount of money, would you keep working? If not, what would you do?
I can’t imagine not working. I’d still teach college classes, but would maybe be content to just adjunct and not fight for tenure. I’d also keep teaching yoga. And I’d always be writing, but would be happy to have that not connected to making money.
3. What is one experience or event (big or small) that you would like to do in your lifetime?
I’d like to practice yoga with a huge group of people outside in the middle of New York City.
4. When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was very young, I told my mom I wanted to grow up to be a dog. Then in a paper I wrote in 5th grade I said I wanted to be “an actress and an activist.”
5. If you had to move from your current town / city, where would be your first choice to move to?
(I Left My Heart In) Chicago.
6. What was your favourite year at school, and why?
Senior year of high school. Sophomore year of college. First year of my PhD program.
7. If you could meet anyone alive today, who would you meet?
Amber Hollibaugh, Robin DG Kelley, Angela Davis, and/or Buddy the Elf.
8. If you were given a full day to yourself, no work and no commitments, how would you spend it?
Morning workout followed by yoga. After a nice shower, I’d go meet friends for brunch. Then maybe take a walk with a friend or catch up with long-distance friends and family on the phone. Late afternoon would be filled with reading for pleasure and/or seeing a movie. Petting animals would be necessary at some point (dogs, cats, bunnies, whatever is available). Then I’d host a dinner party for friends (which would include a delicious and healthy main course and a delicious and healthy dessert). In this perfect scenario, some of these friends would be fellow musicians and we’d drink wine and play music late into the night.
9. What is the best book you’ve read this year?
Dean Spade’s Normal Life: Administrative Violence, Critical Trans Politics, and the Limits of the Law. I also finally read the graphic novel Persepolis. I always loved the film, but the book is even better!
10. If you were given a plane ticket to anywhere in the world, where would it be to?
Where would I want it to be to? I’d love to go back to Guatemala. And a proper trip to Paris is certainly something I desire.
11. What was the last pair of shoes you bought?
A black pump with a “modest heel” that I was guided to purchase for job interviews. No heel in my closet was anywhere close to “modest,” so I had to suck it up and buy a conservative shoe. Dumb.
1. You are hosting a dinner party. What is on the menu?
2. You are hosting a dinner party. Who is on your dream guest list? (People can be living or dead, famous or not).
3. What’s the best trip you’ve ever been on?
4. What is the best meal you ate at a restaurant?
5. With whom did you have your first kiss?
6. If you were an animal, what kind of animal would you be?
7. What was the best birthday you ever had?
8. What is your favorite season?
9. If you’re a yogi, what is your favorite yoga pose? If you’re not, what is your favorite type of exercise?
10. Who would you want to play you in a movie about your life?
11. What was your first pet’s name? (If you never had a pet, what would you want to name it?)
My Blogger Nominations (Note: I tried to make sure to nominate people that haven’t been nominated already, so there are definitely bloggers I appreciate that aren’t on the list because it appears they’ve already been nominated!)
What have you been eating? What’s a random fact about yourself? Please share!